Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Make Milk

So I have to admit, I feel a little left out of this blog thing. Yes, I have my own blog and I write for another...but that is about boring feminist stuff, not about my cute kids. I wish every day that I was at home snuggling my babies and blogging about their crazy baby antics.

Insert crazy baby antics here:




(George deciding that the rules of the road, and gravity for that matter, no longer apply to him.)








(George declaring that he is the kind of drummer that rips cushions off of furniture...Motley Crue here I come.)



I was meeting with a client in my office the other day and having a fairly serious conversation with her about her parenting skills. She was telling me how she wanted to be more involved in her children's lives. Then out of nowhere she said, "You know, if I had wanted to stay home and where a long skirt, I would have married a Mormon!"
I just about fell out of my chair laughing and had a hard time keeping my composure for the rest of our meeting. After my client had left, I heard those words reverberating over and over again off the BYU diploma hanging on my wall. And I wondered to myself (in a very Carrie Bradshaw-like way), how did I manage to mess that formula up?


So, when not managing to mess up perfectly simple cultural formulas, I go to work and feel pretty good about providing for my family. Of course, providing is relative, as I learned from my little friend Jaxon.

We were over at the Steed's home recently so that Brandon and Mark could practice their Wii Tennis skillz (see, I can be a TAMN blogger too). As I was nursing Sylvie, Jaxon climbed up on the couch next to me and we had a perfectly adult conversation about breastfeeding. (Props to Jessica and Mark for being such wonderful parents and teaching their boys that nursing is natural.) Jaxon told me about how his mom used to nurse his little brother and that she had this really cool pump that sucked milk out of her and put it in a bottle. I told Jaxon that I go to work like his daddy and that I had a pump like that I used it to make Baby Sylvie's milk. Jaxon thought about that for a moment and then said, "Yes, but my daddy makes money."

So for any of you wondering what I do all day...I make milk.










And she is obviously not complaining!

2 comments:

  1. I am moved by your use of the phrase, "epic fail."

    deeply moved.

    http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/fail-owned-ricky-martin-fai.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan,
    I didn't see this post when you put it up 10 days ago!
    "I would have married a Mormon"?!?
    Congratulations on not falling out of your chair. I'm sure I would have.

    I love that conversation you documented about Jaxon. He really loves babies, particularly yours.
    Indeed, making the milk and the money is a pretty amazing feat, not to mention your serious skilz on Mario Cart. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors