Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Friends Ziggle and Goo

I just have to write a post about the fact that I have the best kids in the world. Now that I am done with the coursework for my doctorate, this semester I am truly enjoying being a full-time stay-at-home dad. It is such a pleasure to be with my children all day and watch them grow. It is happening all too fast! (Nap time is still an appreciated break and opportunity to work on my thesis.)

Both George and Sylvie are very vocal, though George wasn't always that way. But in the last couple of months George has developed a highly sophisticated language that he now employs non stop. And for several weeks he has been acquiring more English words, too--much to his parents' relief.

Sylvia, on the other hand, absolutely loves having conversations with just about anyone (especially me) in her coo-goo parlance. I am hoping to get a video of it soon because it is so cute--she twitters like a song bird! all the while smiling with her gaping, drooly mouth.

Given the kids' communicativity, I decided to give them nicknames based on their favorite "words." Thus George became "Ziggle" (he walks around saying "ziggle-AH, ziggle-AH") and Sylvia "Goo." George now calls his sister "Goo," and when referring to both his dad and sis, "Da-da-goo." (Since Sylvie always wants to be held, we are basically a compound entity).

The other day I snapped two shots of the kids that just reinforced their personalities for me. George was playing all alone in his playroom (the "Arizona" room strewn with toys) well past his bedtime. His back was to us as if to say, "I can take care of myself, thanks. Maybe if you can't see me you won't put me to bed..." George has the most remarkable independence--he is truly his own man.



Unlike her brother, Sylvia craves human interaction. If she's not held, she demands eye contact and dialog. But as soon as she gets it, she shows her appreciation.

I put Sylvia in her swing so I could work on the computer. She started getting a bit fussy, so I turned my attention to her and she immediately grinned at me. I grabbed my phone and snapped this picture.

I love my adorable kids!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Brandon!
    You are such an adorable father. And, you're kids are pretty great, too.
    Keep up the good work (and I hope that you find time for your thesis).
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors