Friday, April 10, 2009

Job Search Update

If you regularly check the blog, you are probably wondering how my job search goes. In all honesty, it hasn't gone well. I've sent out around two dozen applications and gotten exactly zero interviews, let alone job offers. The biggest disappointment came yesterday. Recently Dr. Russell informed me the Metropolitan Opera had contacted him about my qualifications for the Lindemann Young Artists Development Program for Pianist/Conductors. Apparently they had a very positive discussion (Dr. Russell made me sound like I walk on water) and the indications were that I would be invited to New York for a daunting but exciting audition. For three uneasy weeks no news came, until yesterday. As we suspected (given their long silence), the Met opted not to invite me for an audition.

While disappointing, I am not too upset by this outcome. When it comes to "big breaks," you want them to come at the right time. If you get your chance before you are ready, you can do irreparable damage to your career. Nobody wants to eat a cake before it has fully baked! So I am happy to continue working hard and getting better at what I do before being exposed in the big leagues of the music profession.

There are some glimmers of hope. Along with the Met's interest, I was encouraged by a call from the Calgary Philharmonic. They let me know that they were very interested in me but that my lack of Canadian citizenship would exclude me from being a candidate for their resident conductor position. Also, a colleague of mine recently won a conducting job at Michigan Technological University. This is good for me because his resume looks almost exactly like mine (he studied at both BYU and ASU) but he graduated back in 2006. So when our applications go to the same search committees, they likely preferred him over me due to the fact that he has a bit more experience. So, phew, he's out of the job market and my resume no longer has a twin!

The job market has been very quiet since January, but in the last couple of weeks a few last-minute positions popped up. Here are job applications I'm waiting on:

Simpson College (Indianola, IA). Vocal Coach/Opera Conductor, One-year sabbatical replacement position. I've had this one sent off for more than a month; likely this committee has already passed on me.

State University of New York, Purchase. Assistant Professor of Conducting, part-time position.

Metropolitan State Collge of Denver. Director of Orchestras and String Studies, tenure-track position.

Elon University (NC). Music Director of Music Theatre, tenure-track position.

Interschools Orchestras of New York, Music Director. This is a youth orchestra position.

Orchestra Toronto. Apprentice Conductor, part-time position with community orchestra.

Royal Conservatory of Music (London). Professor of Conducting, part-time position teaching class conducting courses to music majors.

And that's it for now. If I haven't secured an interview by the beginning of May, we will likely be staying in Mesa for the forseeable future (possibly six months, maybe until the 2010-2011 school year begins) while I continue the hunt for employment. That's not all bad; we have great friends here, Meghan has a good job, and I can have time to find the very best opportunity.

We feel hopeful that this will all work out in due time, and lucky to be living a happy, healthy, and provident life! And we are especially grateful all of you care about us and give us your support and well wishes.

We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Keep the faith Beebs! Something will turn up.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors