Saturday, April 4, 2009

Starting the Indoctrination Early

Sylvie and I had our first Mother-Daughter outing this past weekend. We took a little roadtrip up to Southern California with my good friends Jessawhy, Holly, G and EmilyCC to attend this conference. Sylvia was an angel during the drive and exceptional for the 8 hour conference. She was the best baby there! Okay, she was the only baby there but I think she added a much needed cuteness factor to this serious academic conference.

After the conference we headed up to Lake Arrowhead with some more friends for a two-night stay at a cabin in the mountains. It was so wonderful to talk and laugh and play with friends. And Sylvie had more snuggles and loves from her mom and the other curmudgeonly feminists than she could hope for. All in all, it was a wonderful trip!
Hopefully all the intelligence, empowerment and assertiveness seeped into Sylvie's beautiful little soul. She could do a lot worse than become like these women. And if she needs reminding, I'll just round them all up again in twelve years for a menarche ceremony :).
(Thanks to Jana and G for taking the pictures.)

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture--You and baby Sylvie are both so beautiful--I hope I get to meet her and catch up with you one of these days eventually. It has been far far far too long and somehow you and I have ended up far flung on opposite sides of the U.S. Where in AZ are you living again? Why is that so far from NC?
    --Callie
    catherine.alley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is actually Scott Seaman, but it seems I must use my wife's name (Ali) to enter the blogging world. I don't do much blogging, but I had some spare moments this morning and thought I would drop a line.

    Your family looks great and it sounds like everything is going well for you guys. I love the posts about your kids and their crazy antics! I'm glad to hear other young parents are dealing with the same things we are.

    I was also laughing about the chocolate ricotta pie. We have had some interesting desserts ourselves. I always lead out in these wild, exotic cooking endeavors--sometimes they turn out, sometimes they don't. I have a picture of myself and Brandon in Mucuripe, Brazil with aprons on in our missionary attire helping the irmas with their amazing cakes and treats. How I wish I had some of those recipes now!

    Brandon--I have been on a 4 year long literature hunt ever since I stopped studying music formally. I think I felt a great need to fill in some gaps in my music education. I know you were intending to emphasize opera conducting in your studies. What are some of the treasures you have come across in opera? I recently listened to all of Cosi fan Tutte, Madame Butterfly, Il Trovatore, Elektra (love Strauss), Tosca, La Boheme, and Manon (Pucinni).

    Also, there is a song I remember you playing on the piano at BYU, but I can't remember the name. I heard it the other day on the overhead at school (our background music at the dental school). I could hum it for you, but I'm pretty sure it was on your program for either your junior or senior recital. Could you give me a quick list of the songs you played at those recitals? It would ease my mind a great deal to know what that song was.

    Last week we were in Flagstaff. We are making plans for our big move in July. Will you guys still be in Arizona after that? Maybe we could get together sometime.

    Tchau!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete

Contributors